Our Hot Tips for Packing will help you pack like a professional, saving you time and money. Plus it will help minimize any potential risk of accidental damage during cartage.
- Number and label all boxes (i.e. Box 1 = kitchen).
We recommend you complete the Storage Itinerary List as you pack.
That way you’ll never be hunting around in boxes to find an item.
You can just refer to your list and the box number.
- Place heavy objects at the bottom and lighter ones on top
- Do not overfill boxes or allow them to weigh more than 10-15kgs
- Protect fragile goods with bubble wrap
- Wrap dishes and glasses in tissue paper or bubble wrap. (Newspaper may leave ink marks and create a major cleaning issue)
- Wrap table and chair legs before storing
- Clean all garden equipment before storing
- Drain all oil and petrol from garden machinery
- Pack computers, televisions and electrical equipment in original cartons. If you did not keep the packaging — enquire about our strong TV boxes. Make sure you seal boxes to keep out dust.
- Wrap silver in non acid tissue paper or bubble wrap — this reduces tarnishing
- Pack books flat to protect their spines. Book cartons or archive boxes are the best. Use paper to fill empty gaps.
- Use wardrobe cartons to store clothes
Hot Tips for Storage
The key to storage success is how you store and arrange your goods. After all, who wants to spend hours hunting around in boxes to find one item? Following our Hot Tips for Storage will make every visit fast and convenient.
- Place frequently accessed goods near the front of the unit
- Place heavier boxes on the ground
- Stack items within convenient reach
- Create walkways
- Do not place heavy items on sofas or soft furnishings
- Place a protective covering over soft furnishings
- Stack chairs seat to seat with cloth or paper separating them
- Leave refrigerator or freezer doors open for ventilation
- Wrap pictures and mirrors — mark them fragile and stack on ends
- Ensure all electrical goods are clean, dry and in sealed boxes
- Cover your goods with dust sheets to protect against dust, moisture and other airborne particles.
PLEASE NOTE YOU CAN NOT STORE THE FOLLOWING:
- Toxic or hazardous materials or chemicals
- Firearms, munitions, or explosives
- Radioactive materials
- Flammable or hazardous goods
- Living plants or animals
- Perishable goods
- Cash or securities
- Illegal goods
- Waste materials or substances